Monday, September 3, 2007

Bumps...cuts and scrapes...and steep climbs

I read this incredible book several months ago called "Hinds feet in High Places," which I highly recommend to you all.

This book portrays God in such a beautiful way. It shows God as a delighted master who is in love with his creation. However, in order for the fullness of beauty to come out of his creation, he causes you and I to go through rough patches and get dirty from time to time.

I picture a climber who is anxiously trying to conquer a mountain. They look straight up and see the beauty at the top of the mountain. The climber is so excited to get to the top of the mountain that they might pass up some of the important details that would have made the climb safer or easier. Sometimes, when I am looking to get to the top of a rock, I ignore the most obvious choice for the climb and pick a pathway that is too difficult. Try as I might, I cannot conquer this wall, but I keep going with all my strength even when there is an easier more obvious path.

God does not always allow us to take the easy way. He enjoys building character in us through our climb.

A good friend and mentor told me an important truth that I will always carry: It is not the destination that matters as much as it is the journey.

Today is all that counts for today. I must live today at its fullest potential.

No comments: