Thursday, September 30, 2010

Some reflection on the Acts: A Challenge

As I was reading from the book of Acts this morning, I noticed a few important things.  The opposition to the gospel came most from those who were trying to control the people.  It seems that religious leaders of the Jewish synagogue were HIGHLY resistant to the changes that the apostles were bringing to both Jew and Gentile.  Political leaders of the time were not as concerned about the gospel in itself so much as the idea of revolt against them or their system.  Religious and political leaders didn't want their pious feathers ruffled.  Obviously this is a rough compromise.  Heros of our faith, Steven, Paul, Silas and many others, including Apollos, and MANY others, were persecuted with imprisonments, beatings, and death.  Today I think leaders attitudes are not much different.  Religious leaders are very resistant to change, and political leaders are concerned with an uprise.  Things must always be done in an orderly manner and people are very sensitive to being told that their choice of lifestyle is directly against God's order and will send them into utter desolation from God. 

What are our "Acts" to be spoken of?  Are we resisting the flow toward utter desolation and bringing the gospel of deliverance, freedom, love towards all, salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Are we resisting the legalism that can so easily entangle us in a spirit of religiosity in order to embrace all people in the love that was so freely offered to us through the Word?  Do we experience persecutions to mark us with honor?  This is great joy if we have experienced persecution, but do we run away as a coward?

It came into my mind this morning that we can write as a way of testifying of all the great things that God is doing among us, just as the authors of the gospels and Acts did.  Do we have this to write about?  I desire to testify of the miracles, of the hungry fed, of people who have moved from death to life.  To testify of persecutions faced with great joy.  Isn't it amazing how God used Paul to testify to his very persecutors?  If God used this man that way, a man who himself was a great persecutor of this "way" and held steadfastly to the traditions of the elders, yet Christ still was able to open his eyes and literally jerk him off his feet and course of destruction... and God used him to bring salvation to many, with all his faults... then Cannot God use me and you? 

IS anything to hard for God?  Can he not use the weak, the humble, the willing?  

I believe that I will be used of God in ways that only my great imaginations can fathom.  I believe that he can use me, in spite of the many faults that I have. 

Dear Heavenly Father, will you use me?  will you allow me to write of your great deeds, as did the disciples before us?  I know I have so little to offer my King, but it is all yours.

Friend,  If he can use me, so limited as I am in so many ways, He can use you too.  Ask him today.

With love.

No comments: