Saturday, July 21, 2007

Life lessons: Enjoy the Journey!

Yesterday morning, I had a sudden idea to go rollerblading at the park. I needed a break from my tedious job, and I hadn't been rollerblading in over 8 months or maybe even a year!

At about 3:30 pm, I put on my blades and left the house without any other protection...just skin! It was a gorgeous afternoon, but I quickly discovered that rollerblading is not that easy. I had only gone a short ways and I could already feel the workout. "This is going to be great!" I thought to myself, in reference to burning a lot of unwanted calories, and I continued down my normal biking path. On the way to the main trail, there is this awesome bridge that goes over the highway. I'm sure you've seen one of these bridges that rolls around up, and then goes down. I thought to myself, "Sure, no problem, I can take this." Yeah right, famous last words for an inexperienced blader going down a steep hill! Going up was not the problem although it was hard work. However, on my way down the steep and paved path, I got scared. Because I was afraid, I ventured off the trail to the right and tried to slow myself down on the grass. This grass was dry, crisp and full of thorns and weeds. Instead of simply slowing me down, the grass stopped me completely and lunged me forward as I fell flat on my face! After rolling over, and trying to breathe, having all wind knocked completely out, and none the worse for wear except very dirty and a bit scratched up... I made a wobbly attempt at getting up and went down the rest of the way.

Mistakes I made: 1. went in over my head 2. Got scared instead of just following through

However, I consider it a great success because 1. I didn't quit after falling down, and 2. I gained insight into the journey of life.

When on this journey, we must remember that we do not travel alone, and stick close to God. It is only when we get off the path that we have problems even if we are going too fast and God has to tell us to slow down or back up a bit. I know that my adventurous spirit often has to be reigned in by God, when he softly tells me...not yet, be patient, turn left, don't go so fast, wait, WAIT. Sometimes I have had God re-focus my eyes when I have looked at all the problems instead of just allowing him to bring me to each step at a time. He doesn't want me to work on the steps further down the road while He has me here. I pray for God to help me to be focused!

It was a fun experience. and remember, that at times we will fall down and get dirty and mess up... still, the journey is what is important, not the success of the ride. It is in the journey that we gain fulness. Also, even though going uphill is hard, it is in the uphill journey that we gain the skills and control we need to coast downhill.

Prov 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him and He will direct your path!"

1 comment:

Todd & Sonja said...

I just logged on to your blog yesterday so I am catching up an all of the posts. This was just what I needed to read. Thanks Joanna!

Love you,
Sonja :)