Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stark contrasts

This morning, I had a wonderful time with the kids at church. We laughed, talked about David and Goliath and sang together. At the end, we had icecream and the team stayed and cleaned up.

On this particular Sunday morning, all of the classes were combined. We do that once a month to give the children a fun diversion from the normal classes the other three or four Sundays. We use art, music and activities to teach the children biblical standards. Today was about facing your fears and not being afraid when God is on your side...hence, David and Goliath.

One of my students came and asked me if I could come to her house after service, because she was having a garage sale, and I decided to go so that I could meet her parents. She and her sister come to the church, but her parents do not come. I had met her father, but I had not met her mother... and she also proudly introduced me to her kitten. :)

However, I was struck instantly when we passed by a teenager sleeping in the streets. I often see men sleeping on the sides of the roads, with very skinny legs and tattered clothes. Some younger than others, but today I felt horrified. This boy could not be over 15 yrs old, and although I had read about street children, seeing one for the first time was overwhelming. He was sound asleep and I felt the sudden urge to go over to him, wake him up and offer him something to drink. I wanted to comfort him, I felt as though he did not belong there. But then... neither do the others. How long have they been suffering on the streets without shelter.

Emerson, who I have talked about before, only was 24 yrs old, or possibly younger, and how long had he suffered the cold nights and harsh rainy seasons without shelter? I cannot bare to think about those who have been abandoned, stuck in drugs, and living without a hope. Why, anyone could come by and injure this child. Anyone could introduce him to all kinds of horrible things.
Jesus loves him and died for him. This little 15 yr old should not have to live life this way. Whatever compeled him onto the streets is destroying his young life that God intended for good.

As we walked to Irina's house, I was struck with thoughts of what I have taken for granted in life. Entering the alley into her house, a young 8 yr old came and tickled my sides...kinda scaring me. then I turned to see a sweetie from the church. I gave her a big hug and found out she lived in this same neighborhood. They are very special children. The patio of my student's house was small and dingy. They were selling dolls, barbies, rollerskates, and different things (mostly dirty). The smell of the dirt and sweat hung stalely in the air. I was very happy to meet her mother...again, I felt a twist in my stomache.

I thought about how my little student caused so much disruption in class, but all of sudden, I didn't care so much anymore about the previous frustration I felt. As she so quickly opened up her innocent little heart to me, I decided that I will pour my love out on her. If she is looking for attention inside of class, I will give her attention outside of class. It was obvious that her needs for attention are very tough to obtain within her families limited resources. I will be attending one of her basketball games with her family as she plays on a team. I am proud of her and see a lot of potential in her.

So many kids in different positions. How beautiful that my student had food, a roof over her head, a family trying to make ends meet even if that means a meager looking garage sale..and selling things of value, like a playstation, that was a sacrifice to get rid of. But they are working as a family to make things work. I long for the sucess of this family. My student's parents love her and are doing what is necessary to keep her and her sister in a home and off of the dangerous streets.

What about the others? Is it possible that their families did not have the means to protect them from the street's peligro (danger)? What about this child? What about the MANY like Emerson who have 11 bros & sisses and hardly have a place to lay their head at night?
How do they survive such a lifestyle?

"When Jesus looked upon the crowds, He was moved with compassion..."

What about you? Does this picture move your heart? Or are we too caught up in our own needs to see those of others?

A thought for my dear readers from an intensely passionate heart

with love

No comments: